Hugs & Kisses falls under the Early Childhood Development (ECD) sector, which reports to the Department of Social Development (DSD). With the Covid 19 pandemic, DSD has drawn up a comprehensive Standard Operating Procedures and Guidelines for Early Childhood Development Programmes on measures to address, prevent and combat the spread of Covid 19.
DSD have provided a very helpful document: Covid explained to parents of young children which explains what Covid 19 is, how it spreads and the measures needed to prevent the spreading of Covid 19.
In essence Covid 19, is spread by:
- Coughing and sneezing – you can contract Covid 19 if you are standing within 1.5 metres of an infected person, by breathing in droplets coughed or exhaled by an infected person.
- Close personal contact with an infected person, such as shaking hands or touching others, or touching a surface on which the virus has settled, then – before washing your hands – touching your mouth, nose or eyes.
The primary symptoms of Covid 19 infection are:
- Fever (above 37.5˚C)
- Dry cough
- Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
- Loss of smell and/or taste
- Nausea, vomiting and/or diarrhoea
- Weakness / aches and pains.
Infections can cause severe symptoms in people over 60 and people (including children) with compromised immune systems (including diabetes, cancer, and chronic lung disease)
If you contract Covid 19, it can take up to 10 days for the symptoms to develop. You must inform the Principal, followed by your medical practitioner if you present with Covid 19 symptoms. Covid 19 infections need to be reported to the Covid 19 hotline: 0800 029 999
- What to do if you come into contact with a person who has Covid 19.
All close contacts of a confirmed Covid 19 case (parents / child / staff member) are required to inform the Principal, and you and your child are required to self-quarantine at home for 10 days, Close contact means being within 1.5 meters of a person who has tested positive. We will also take guidance from the Department of Health and other relevant authorities.